American Geophysical Union Headquarters
In 2015, Interface Engineering was selected as part of a team to convert the existing American Geophysical Union Headquarters into a world-class, zero energy facility. This project not only implemented the first municipal waste heat recovery system in the US, it also is the first existing commercial building to achieve Zero Energy status as well as the highest rated LEED-NC Project in Washington, DC.
Client: American Geophysical Union
Building Size: 83,000 sf
Project Cost: undisclosed
Certifications: Seeking LEED Platinum + Zero Energy
The American Geophysical Union (AGU) is an international non-profit scientific association with 60,000 members in 137 countries promoting discovery in Earth and space science for the benefit of humanity. In 2015, Interface Engineering was selected as part of a team to convert the existing American Geophysical Union Headquarters into a world-class, Net Zero Energy facility. The full-building renovation transformed the 5-story, 87,780 gross square foot space into a state-of-the-art work environment that facilitates internal collaboration and showcases AGU’s contributions to Earth and space sciences. The design includes a mixture of modern workspaces and cutting edge meeting/conference facilities that incorporate the most advanced technology and sustainable features.
Our team evaluated thirty-five independent Energy Conservation Measures (ECMs), in an effort to reach AGU’s goal of becoming the first, existing commercial building in Washington, DC to achieve “net zero”. Ultimately, a bundle of roughly twenty-three strategies were recommended to be included in the project’s Schematic Design, based on each strategy’s anticipated contribution to energy and water savings, waste, and carbon reduction, human comfort, and employee health and well-being.
Some of the more innovative solutions include municipal waste heat recovery, photovoltaic (PV) array, radiant ceiling systems, DC current ceiling grids, and hydroponic phytoremediation air filtration and treatment.
To learn more or sign up for a tour, please visit AGU Building
News & Awards
- ULI Washington 2023 Project Awards
- 1st Place Whole Building Metamorphosis Awards
- Office Renovation Net Zero Buildings Week
- IIDA Mid-Atlantic Chapter Premiere Design Awards Winner
- Interior Design Magazine Cover Story
- USGBC National Capital Region 2021 Community Leader Award Winner
- American Geophysical Union Milestone
- 2020 AIA/ACSA Intersections Research Conference
- High-Performance Buildings Webinar Series, Part 2
- High-Performance Buildings Webinar Series 1
- DC Mayor Signs Historic Legislation at AGU
- Greenbuild 2018
- Making History
- Lessons Learned: Municipal Sewer Heat Exchange
- Living Future unConference 2018
- Getting to Zero National Forum
- Using Solar Technology to Reach Net-Zero: AGU
- NIBS Building Innovation Conference & Expo
- Smart Buildings & the Grid Modernization of Cities
- AGU Building Design Features
- A Pathway to Net Zero
- American Geophysical Union Featured in ASCE