Jeremy Bittermann Photography
San Francisco, California
Client: WRNS Studio
Building Size: 112,270 sf
Project Cost: $53 million
Certifications: LEED Platinum
Interface Engineering provided MEP engineering, lighting design and fire/life safety and energy services to San Francisco State University’s new 112,270 sf recreation and wellness center.
The building consists of three levels with a space program that includes, a two-court gymnasium with storage, a multi-activity court with storage, an elevated jogging track, event lobby and support space, three multi-purpose/group fitness studios, two racquetball courts, a climbing wall, a classroom, indoor natatorium and support space, wellness program space, outdoor recreation resources space, and an administrative office suite.
Sustainable features include:
- Variable air volume system using the temperate climate for maximum economizing for cooling in conjunction with displacement ventilation.
- Return air plenum system with building relief fans to minimize fan energy.
- Digital scroll compressors for providing tight temperature and humidity control at the natatorium.
- Heat recovery coil at natatorium to reduce reheat energy.
- Grey water and pool back wash treatment system for building non-potable re-use.
- Photovoltaic system.