Client: Yost Grube Hall Architecture
Building Size: 122,000 sf
Project Cost: $81 million
Certifications: LEED Gold
Portland State University’s existing Center for Advanced Technology was replaced by a spacious new energy efficient facility. The five story building houses a new student recreation center, academic space, office, retail and parking. The building features a multitude of energy conserving measures:
- Daylighting and variable speed pumps for on demand heating and cooling.
- Lighting fixtures more efficient than code.
- Rainwater harvesting system with low-flow fixtures provide 85% water savings compared to a standard building.
- Well water cooling system.
- Well water source heat pump system.
- Temperature control linked to occupancy sensors.
- Flexible gymnasium ventilation system.
- Building Automation System directed reduction of air flow in natatorium at optimal times.
News & Awards
- Outstanding Achievement in the Application of HVAC Technology, ASHRAE, 2012
- Case Study: PSU Academic and Student Recreation Center
- Facility of Merit, Athletic Business, 2012